[Hampshire] RHEL init scripts

Author: Samuel Penn
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] RHEL init scripts

Hi all,

What is the standard way to start a process at boot time from an
init script as a non-root user? The 'process' is a script (or,
rather, several layers of scripts before starting Tomcat).

We have tried calling the script with "sudo -u" from the init
script, but that doesn't work during the boot process (I don't
have more details on why, since I don't have root access to the
box in question and can't try it myself), though if it should
work then I can tell the admins to investigate this option some
more.

The other option I've thought of is a C program which makes
a call to setuid before calling the script.

This is all on RHEL 5, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???