[Hampshire] Mass storage mounting as read only?

Author: AdamC
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Mass storage mounting as read only?
I have a Iriver h320 which basically works as a mass storage device
under Linux (vfat filesystem). Everything worked fine, until I tried
to sync files from my laptop to the H320 using rsync. That said, I'm
not sure that rsync is the definite culprit here.

When I plug the device in to my Ubuntu 8.04 laptop, it automounts
under /media/H300 but as read only.

mount gives:
/dev/sdb1 on /media/H300 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)

Is there anything here which means that the device is mount as
read-only? If so, how do I change it, assuming that Ubuntu looks after
all the settings somewhere magical?

TIA
Adam
--