Re: [Hampshire] Mass storage mounting as read only?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mass storage mounting as read only?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d64100.hantslug.org.uk.26300': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Sep 18 18:39:55 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 05:56:30PM +0100, AdamC wrote:
> I have a Iriver h320 which basically works as a mass storage device
> under Linux (vfat filesystem). Everything worked fine, until I tried
> to sync files from my laptop to the H320 using rsync. That said, I'm
> not sure that rsync is the definite culprit here.
>
> When I plug the device in to my Ubuntu 8.04 laptop, it automounts
> under /media/H300 but as read only.
>
> mount gives:
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/H300 type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
>
> Is there anything here which means that the device is mount as
> read-only?

No, nothing in there. You may possibly get better information from
"cat /proc/mounts", which is the raw data from the kernel. The command
"mount" uses slightly cooked data, and is occasionally wrong under
some circumstances (unlikely here, but...).

It is possible that the device has a media error on it, and has
been remounted read-only -- check your system log file
(/var/log/syslog) to see if that's the case.

Are you sure that the uid/umask are correct? Check the permissions
on the filesystem, using ls -l.

Finally, are you trying to copy a device node to it, perhaps? That
would complain in much the same way, IIRC, as it's mounted with
"nodev" option.

Just a few thoughts,
Hugo.

                        --- argc, argv, argh! ---