Re: [Hampshire] kdm login screen erroneously reports that pa…

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] kdm login screen erroneously reports that password and user name do not match

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x584dc100.hantslug.org.uk.20281': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Sep 26 18:09:10 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 25 Sep 2008, HantsLUG Mail wrote:

> I have reinstalled Lenny, and am now sorting out the problems that have
> arisen from even my backup being corrupted. I am stuck on my present
> problem, and it prevents me from moving on to the next. :-(
>
> I now cannot log in at the kdm login screen. I could do so before I tried
> to restore my files. (I am using, or trying to use, KDE 3.5.9). It is
> reporting that the user name and password do not match. I changed the
> password at the command line in case the password had got corrupted, but I
> could still not log in. I created another user and tried to log in as that
> user. Still no luck. I can login at the command line as either of the two
> non-root users and at the kdm login screen as neither of them, even tho' I
> have tried repeatedly and been excessively careful with my typing.

If you can log in from the command line this is a good start.

Will X and KDE start okay if you log in at the command line then start X
manually?

Can root login via KDM?

Have you tried purging KDM then reinstalling it - that may flush any odd kdm
settings?

You know that kdm can be configured to only allow certain users to login, and
I'm wondering if this has got messed up.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon