[Hampshire] kdm login screen erroneously reports that passwo…

Author: HantsLUG Mail
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] kdm login screen erroneously reports that password and user name do not match
I am sorting out major problems that I caused myself by chickening out of
changing an awkward to get at CMOS battery. :-(

I have reinstalled Lenny, and am now sorting out the problems that have
arisen from even my backup being corrupted. I am stuck on my present
problem, and it prevents me from moving on to the next. :-(

I now cannot log in at the kdm login screen. I could do so before I tried
to restore my files. (I am using, or trying to use, KDE 3.5.9). It is
reporting that the user name and password do not match. I changed the
password at the command line in case the password had got corrupted, but I
could still not log in. I created another user and tried to log in as that
user. Still no luck. I can login at the command line as either of the two
non-root users and at the kdm login screen as neither of them, even tho' I
have tried repeatedly and been excessively careful with my typing.

I have googled, but not come up with anything relevant.

What may I have mucked up and how do I put it right?

TIA
Lisi