Re: [Hampshire] Openmoko (was USB Bluetooth adapter)

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Openmoko (was USB Bluetooth adapter)
2008/9/30 Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???>:
> 2008/9/30 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>> OK, granted, the software's not exactly "ready" yet, but keep an
>> eye on them. There's even a Debian port for them. :)
>>
>> Hugo.
>
> That looks fantastic. I'd love to have a play - are they around in the UK?
>
> Peter

There was talk of the LUG doing a block purchase:
[1] http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FreerunnerBulkBuy

I was tempted but scared off by the ominous warnings on the openmoko
site saying, in effect, "You do realise that this thing won't even do
phone calls reliably yet, don't you?" - looks like a very fun toy if
you have a lot of time & patience and low level (dpkg/busybox-level)
familiarity. The wiki reminded me of early Zaurus days, where anything
is possible but very very fiddly.... I'd love someone to persuade me
I'm being too pessimistic ;-)