[Hampshire] Kernel Problems with FC10 Beta

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Kernel Problems with FC10 Beta
If any of you are considering installing Fedora 10 Beta, my advice is at
the moment, don't.
The kernel being used is one from The Linus RC tree (via git) and had
several quite severe bugs that make it perform like 'trying to stir cold
treacle'.

For any of you tht are interested, 2.6.29 (or thereabouts) is moving a
tickless kernel. Some of the subsystems are not playing well with this
at the moment. dmesg gets filled up with endless 'hub.....' messages.

As I said above, the kernel and at the moment any updates via YUM have
these bugs. The updated kernel seems to be worse than that included in
the 'beta' release.
A uname -a will show you that you are running a kernel built from the
'rc.git' tree.

That aside, I have finally got to play with 'sugar;. It is offered as a
standard option along with Gnome, Kde etc.

I'm very impressed so far.

Stephen Davies