Re: [Hampshire] Kernel Problems with FC10 Beta

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kernel Problems with FC10 Beta

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5809b100.hantslug.org.uk.5110': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Oct 5 20:15:43 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 07:39:58PM +0100, Stephen Davies wrote:
> If any of you are considering installing Fedora 10 Beta, my advice is at
> the moment, don't.
> The kernel being used is one from The Linus RC tree (via git) and had
> several quite severe bugs that make it perform like 'trying to stir cold
> treacle'.
>
> For any of you tht are interested, 2.6.29 (or thereabouts) is moving a

2.6.27 is the current pre-release kernel.

> tickless kernel. Some of the subsystems are not playing well with this
> at the moment. dmesg gets filled up with endless 'hub.....' messages.

The option for tickless operation has been in the kernel since
somewhere in the 2.6.21 range, if memory serves. I've been running it
on several of my machines and VMs since it came out. I've had no
problems so far.

I suspect that the problems you're seeing have some proximate cause
other than simply moving to tickless (CONFIG_NO_HZ) operation.

Hugo.

   --- "How deep will this sub go?" "Oh,  she'll go all the way to ---
                    the bottom if we don't stop her."