Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58311100.hantslug.org.uk.13314': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Oct 6 12:28:34 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:18:15AM +0100, Vic wrote:
> > I would hope you
> > could run 32 bit OSes as guests on a 64 bit host. Can someone please
> > confirm or refute this?
>
> You can.
>
> I have been unable to run 64-bit guests on a 32-bit Xen host; I suspect
> this is impossible (but it might just be that I hadn't actually read any
> of the documentation at the time).

This is indeed the case for Xen -- if you want a 64-bit guest, you
have to have a 64-bit host. 64-bit hosts can run 32-bit guests,
though. This applies to kvm, too.

qemu will run 64-bit guests on 32-bit systems, but only in
emulation (read: very, very slow). qemu+kqemu will not run 64-bit
guests at all, due to a bug in kqemu.

I recommend using kvm, as it's far easier to set up and administer
than Xen. Just make sure that you get the right hardware -- check the
"AMD-V" or "Intel-VT" capabilities on the relevant processor lists on
Wikipedia.

Hugo.

   --- Anyone who claims their cryptographic protocol is secure is ---
         either a genius or a fool.  Given the genius/fool ratio
                 for our species,  the odds aren't good.