Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:18:15 +0100 (+0100), Vic wrote:
> The 32-bit hugemem kernels from RHEL will address 64GB. For RHEL3, you got
> a 4GB limit per process - I doubt that's changed, but I don't actually
> know for sure.

If you are using wierd 4/4GB kernels, you suffer a pretty horrific
performance penalty (about 20%), I'm not sure about the 64/4GB
kernels.

If you using the more normal kernels (where you only have 3GB max for
userspace in 32-bit or (oodles) in 64-bit) there is no penalty.

OTOH I suspect most people here won't hit the 3GB process limit for
sometime - it really only affects database and Java apps (cue
religious language wars).

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers