Re: [Hampshire] Banishing Windows Mail - Can anyone help?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Banishing Windows Mail - Can anyone help?
Becky Taylor wrote:
> Hello,
> I have just installed Thunderbird on Vista (through a long and
> complicated chain of events - well alright I accidentally deleted the
> link on my Linux Mint box that helps change the internet settings -
> ahem... I am waiting until the new release of Mint - Felicia comes out,
> then 'starting afresh').
> I am trying to get rid of Windows Mail/Make Thunderbird default, and I'm
> sorry to say I have no idea how to do it.

Hi Becky,

Can you clarify your current situation for us please?

Am I correct in interpreting your request as you are currently using a
mail client on Windows Vista (assume Outlook) and would like to start
using Thunderbird, first on Vista and then on a new build of Mint? And,
in the meantime you would like Thunderbird to be the default mail client
on your Vista build?

And when you say you don't know where to start with this, are you saying
that you don't know how to configure Thunderbird to pick up your email
or that you don't know how to instruct Vista to fire it up by default
when you click on a mailto link?

Apologies if I am being a little dense here, but once it becomes clearer
what you are starting out with and where you want to go with it, it
should be relatively simple to assist you.

Sean