Re: [Hampshire] Absolute Music (Was Music software Recommend…

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Absolute Music (Was Music software Recommendations]
Hi,

Jon Wilks wrote:
> ---8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>> I have a Tapco LinkUSB audio interface/mic preamp (which is made by
>>> Mackie) and that's quite good. I got it from Absolute Music in Poole.
>>> They're selling them for £69 (RRP £199) I think because Mackie have
>>>
> ---8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Is it straightforward to configure? I just wondered how you get linux
> to recognise the USB soundcard? I'm tempted to invest in one myself
> if I could get it to work unter 64Studio or UbuntuStudio.
>
> Jonny.

It supports the standard USB audio profile as well as ASIO so no special
drivers are needed to make it work. I plugged it in under Kubuntu Hardy
and it just worked (tm.) It appeared straight away in jack and I could
select it as a source at will. I haven't tried using it as an output but
I see no reason it wouldn't work.

I did find out the hard way that you must use an XLR connection between
the mic and the LinkUSB (not the 1/4" TRS built into the same socket) as
the TRS is guitar/DI level and if you plug a mic in you have to wind
the gain up so high you end up with a noise floor of about -36dB. It
works fine with a balanced mic connected with an XLR-XLR cable. I've
tried a budget dynamic mic (the Shure PG48) and a phantom powered
condenser mic (Sennheiser ME66 + K6) and both work well with it.

Cheers,
Paul.