[Hampshire] remove viruses on external HDD from Linux box

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] remove viruses on external HDD from Linux box
I am trying to remove one of the viruses that ClamAV found but was unable to
remove. I too am having no success at removing them, being told that the
file system is read only.

Could some kind soul tell me what the command should be if I want the
filesystem to be read/write (so that I can remove the infected files)? I am
running as root from the command line (and have the box disconnected from the
router). My last attempt was:

# mount -t ntfs -rw /dev/sdb1 /media/disk

When I used rm I again got the error message

# [snip] Read-only file system

What am I doing wrong?

I had concluded from my looking up*, obviously erroneously, that that ought to
work :-(

TIA
Lisi

* Google, Linux in a Nutshell, Linux Cookbook