Re: [Hampshire] remove viruses on external HDD from Linux b…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] remove viruses on external HDD from Linux box

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56a5a100.hantslug.org.uk.25375': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 10 14:33:53 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:09:52PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> I am trying to remove one of the viruses that ClamAV found but was unable to
> remove. I too am having no success at removing them, being told that the
> file system is read only.
>
> Could some kind soul tell me what the command should be if I want the
> filesystem to be read/write (so that I can remove the infected files)? I am
> running as root from the command line (and have the box disconnected from the
> router). My last attempt was:
>
> # mount -t ntfs -rw /dev/sdb1 /media/disk
>
> When I used rm I again got the error message
>
> # [snip] Read-only file system
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Trying to mount an NTFS filesystem using the in-kernel NTFS
filesystem driver. It's a read-only driver.

Take a look at ntfs3g[1].

Hugo.

[1] http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

  --- There are three things you should never see being made: laws, ---
                        standards,  and sausages.