Re: [Hampshire] remove viruses on external HDD from Linux bo…

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: [Hampshire] Thanks. [Was Re: remove viruses on external HDD from Linux box]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] remove viruses on external HDD from Linux box
On Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 15:51:40 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> There are also two other files identified as suspect. One as a named Trojan
> and the other being the Linux.Lion.

A virus, or worm, doesn't start running by magic. So if you see
a file that is not an executable which is infected you can either
ignore it as being a false positive, or a harmless issue.

For example I've frequently seen .iso files marked as being
infected with something. But given that I'd never try to actually
execute an iso file its not something to worry about.

> So I'll have to do something about at least the Trojan, will I not?

It depends where it has been found.

> But I welcome the advice to leave the .sys file alone!!

(This file is the equivalent of a Linux swapfile. It is expected
to have "random" content in it, but isn't something that you need
worry about.)

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration