[Hampshire] Why I like Perl

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl
Unearthly hour,

The learning curve so far has been relatively steep, but once through the
Llama book and practicing with small scripts now after several months
slowly picking my way through the syntax I can read it and make
subroutines work and play with functions, manipulate context and regex's.
Coding is much smoother than in Bash and for the approx. 600 lines I have
just written Bash would have become too cumbersome. I really like the
warnings and use of strict pragma, the feedback has been understandable
and very decipherable for debugging. I also like the syntax, it's easy on
the eye, curly, and lends itself to readability and fits in well with my C
knowledge. Larry Wall is a clever chap! Llama is a must read though, now
one of my favorite tech books of all time, Schwart, Pheonix & foy actually
managed to make me laugh a few times just at the right time:) not sure who
the funny one of the three is.

It's great so far - still new to me but have just finishing tapping out my
first reasonable sized app. Yep, shhhhh, you guessed it
diap-alpha-dev-v0.1 in Perl at long last...bit br0ken in places but
written.

Damian
--
Damian L Brasher