Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl

Author: Jon Wilks
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl
I have been using perl since 1994. My original attraction to it was
the C type power but without as much complexity (arrays created and
manipulated on the fly, easy file handling, text manipulation). As a
Unix administrator I have perhaps used the korn shell more since then
but perl is always the language that I somehow return to when the
shell is not quite enough for the job at hand. Especially when the
job at hand has started to grow too big for ksh.

The reference book at that time was "Programming Perl" by Larry Wall
and Randall L. Schwartz. The presentation in that early edition was
humorous and easy to digest and is still a favourite techie book I
would not discard despite being out of date (perl version 4). I
particularly found amusing the idea of Job (as in the book of Job in
the Bible) using perl to keep an inventory and output to a clay tablet
printer (i.e. send output to /dev/ctp).

Since then we have had an explosion of languages, each with their
uses, strengths and weaknesses but somehow perl still has it's place
among them. Probably because it has been so widely available on so
many platforms for so long.

Jon Wilks.