[Hampshire] Netbook returns blamed on Linux 'teething proble…

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Netbook returns blamed on Linux 'teething problems'

The return rate on Linux-powered netbooks may be higher than that for
Windows netbooks, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing for Linux,
according to Canonical.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39500489,00.htm?r=4

In an interview with Laptop Magazine, MSI said its studies showed its Suse
Linux-based ultraportables were returned at a rate four times higher than
Windows-based Wind machines.

That bears out Canonical's experience with netbooks based on Ubuntu, said
Canonical marketing manager Gerry Carr. "We're seeing similar types of
return rates for our machines," Carr told ZDNet.co.uk.

However, such figures shouldn't distract from the fact that Linux is, in
general, proving a great success on netbooks, Carr said.