Re: [Hampshire] Netbook returns blamed on Linux 'teething pr…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbook returns blamed on Linux 'teething problems'

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5730e100.hantslug.org.uk.700': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 17 13:56:34 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:03:08AM -0400, Andy Random wrote:

> The return rate on Linux-powered netbooks may be higher than that for
> Windows netbooks, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing for Linux,
> according to Canonical.
>
>    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39500489,00.htm?r=4

> In an interview with Laptop Magazine, MSI said its studies showed its Suse
> Linux-based ultraportables were returned at a rate four times higher than
> Windows-based Wind machines.

<rant>

Once again, the jounalist leaves us with insufficient information
in the article. Are they talking about ratio of purchases to returns,
or are they talking about absolute number of returns? Obviously, if
they sell ten times as many Linux boxes as Windows ones, but only get
four times as many Linux returns as Windows ones, that's a big win for
Linux.

Can we make all science and technology journalists take a mandatory
course in statistics and data presentation, please?

Oh, and mandatory re-education(*) for anyone using the phrase "x
times less". It's meaningless.

</rant>

Hugo.

(*) With a cricket bat.

  --- Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, ---
                           and quick to anger.