Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58496100.hantslug.org.uk.1212': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 17 13:49:47 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 01:35:42PM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Paul Stimpson
> <paul@???> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A single access point should cover this no problem. Which model are you using now?
>
> Just going to find out. Linksys WAP 54G I think.
>
> > Have you tried changing the channel your current access point is on? Maybe you have an interference issue. I would usually avoid channels 1,6 and 11 as these are common out-of-the-box defaults and seem to be busiest. Challens 1-4 are also used by wireless video senders. Can you see which channels are free? Kismet may help with this.
>
> Will look into that - thanks.

Simply:

# iwlist scan

should give you the nearby APs and the channels they're running on.
Also remember that some people turn their APs on and off a lot -- try
at different times of day (particularly when you have problems).

Hugo.

  --- Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, ---
                           and quick to anger.