Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs

Author: Stephen Nelson-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs
Hi,

> should give you the nearby APs and the channels they're running on.
> Also remember that some people turn their APs on and off a lot -- try
> at different times of day (particularly when you have problems).

We've done some research. In the process this is what I've uncovered:

Higher numbered channels are higher frequency. The energy of an
electromagnetic wave is proportional to frequency (related by Planck's
constant), so the higher channels tend to do ever so slightly better
after absorption
when you're trying to cover some distance. Slightly…

Is this likely to be relevant?

I've come across a recommendation that you should try and keep to a
channel that's 3 away from other networks, and browsing our list that
means we want 8 or 9.

Is this to be favoured over, say, 5? Or is there really very little in it?

S.