Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs

> The energy of an
> electromagnetic wave is proportional to frequency ... Is this likely to

be relevant?

No. Not even slightly.

> I've come across a recommendation that you should try and keep to a

channel that's 3 away from other networks, and browsing our list that
means we want 8 or 9.

A WiFi link actually covers 5 channels, with the channel you select being
the centre of those 5.

The best channel to pick is the one with nothing in the two adjacent
channels either side - and that includes the side-lobes of other uers
nearby.

But most of these issues are dwarfed by simple absorption - the 2.4GHz
band was sepcifically chosen because it doesn't propagate for miles and
miles. Put your AP inthe right place, and you should get whole-of-house
coverage (unless you have a big house). Put it in the wrong place and you
will get nothing.

Vic.