Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best wireless hubs
Hi,

Yes, Skype is incredibly evil. If you allow it unrestricted access to the Internet it will become a supernode and volunteer your bandwidth to proxy for NATed users.

Another thing to consider is whether or not anyone is using Bluetooth or has it enabled on any of the machines or other devicrs (like phone headsets or cordless mice.) Bluetooth and b/g wifi share the same frequencies and, in my experience, don't coexist nicely. For example the range of the wifi on my laptop halves if I have the Bluetooth adaptor enabled whether I'm using it or not.

Do you use DECT phones in the building and are any of them (particularly the bases) near the wireless network?

What is the symptom when it fails to work? Loss of connection to the AP, no data transfer or something else?

Cheers,
Paul.