Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement
I had decided a while ago that I wanted a small, portable machine for
mobile e-mail and the like.

I evaluated all of the new sub-notebooks on offer, (and was fed a load of
nonsense by sales staff in the process,) before concluding that I was not
impressed by any of them. They all seemed so restricted and fragile that I
decided against buying one.

Instead, I bought a second-hand (refurbished) ThinkPad X30, which is heavier
but is a very solid 'real' computer with a decent screen and keyboard. It
also cost me rather less than I had set aside for the purchase.

I'm about to scrape XP off the disc and throw it away, before installing
Etch. (A well-trodden path, as a quick web search reveals, so there's plenty
of reassurance there!)

So far, I'm very happy with my purchase, so I offer this as a
possible alternative approach.....

Chris