Re: [Hampshire] OT: Part-P rant

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: Part-P rant

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57b20100.hantslug.org.uk.3876': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 21 11:52:24 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 94A792DF8B81EB69
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:27:15 +0100 (BST)
"Stephen Rowles" <stephen@???> wrote:

Hello Stephen,

> Maybe I don't understand, but as I see it Electricians and the IEE
> must be great at lobbying the government to create this legally
> required money making scheme :(

It is indeed a money making scheme. As an electrician, working for many
years, I can now, legally, do very little. Having said that, I wired up
an entire house less than one year ago, and the electricity supplier
connected up without comment.

This scheme is simply a tax. The only thing that may be an issue,
realistically, is the change of colour scheme from red/black to
brown/blue. Other than that, nothing's really changed. So long as you
know what you're doing, go ahead.

As you're connecting a spur to an existing circuit, it's unlikely that
the job is reportable, TBH. There are all sorts of conditions, but it
boils down to kitchen, bathroom, outside or new circuit work is
automatically reportable. Work valued at under £200 isn't reportable
always reportable. Since this is work going on in an existing building,
without planning dept knowledge, there's no way they can know about it.
Frankly, the whole set up is asinine and unworkable.

The idea behind the scheme was to shut the door on the cowboys. Sadly,
it's had the opposite effect. To get suitably qualified costs upwards
of £3000, with annual costs of about £500. Costs which small outfits
have no choice but to pass on to customers. The cowboys look even more
attractive now since their prices appear even lower than before.

Oh, and in a few years, I'm lead to believe that the same sort of scheme
will be applied to plumbers, too. :-(

--
 Regards  _

I hope live to relive the days gone by