Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu installing problems

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu installing problems
Becky Taylor wrote:
> Then I tried to 'Try ubuntu without installing it', and the message that
> came up was something like 'I/O error - reboot'. I tried again, and the
> same thing happened, so I then picked option 'check disc for defects',
> and the same error message came up, as it did with 'install ubuntu'.
>
> I have downloaded Mint from the official Mint site a little while ago,
> and that also wouldn't load, but a lot of error messages came up whilst
> I was burning it, so I thought that I had burned it wrong.
>
> Now I am beginning to wonder if it's a problem with my laptop.... I have
> promised myself I will NEVER get an Advent again.

Hi Becky,

I am guessing that you are probably right having had a few optical
drives go 'marginal' on me over the years, but it is worth asking if you
are burning on to the same media as you did with Mint?

It's possible that it is a duff batch or doesn't agree with your burner,
and it might be worth blagging an official CD off of someone here, or
trying a combination of different media and/or burner.

Sean