Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny + Firefox 2.0.0.17 +PrefbarCorr…

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Lenny + Firefox 2.0.0.17 +PrefbarCorrectionto first email.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 at 01:31:30PM +0100, Phillip Chandler wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 12:27 +0100, Bond, Peter wrote:
> > > If you disapprove, complain to Mozilla: out of all the free
> > > software with a trademarked name/logo, Mozilla is the only one that
> > > causes problems.
> >
> > Actually, I switched to Ubuntu instead. Makes far more sense to me than
> > complaining to Mozilla - they stuck to their principles, Debian stuck to
> > theirs - and the users get caught in the middle of it. It wasn't the
> > only issue I had with Debian, but it was the last straw.
>
> One story I heard regarding the firefox arguement, was that debian was
> doing patches for ff and sending them to mozilla. But mozilla was
> putting these patches on the back burner, and making their own patches
> priority, and that debian then got cheesed off with waiting.
>
> Which in all things considered is a fair point. If your doing half the
> job of the mozilla devs and helping them out, then theoretically
> shouldnt you be more happy, seeing as debian is a well established /
> respected sort of distro.

I don't know the whole story but Mozilla got heavy handed and
Debian recompiled from scratch but without it being called
Firefox. I belive that Mozilla have offered a comprimise but it's
too late for Lenny, Debian may take it on for Squeeze.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

In the field of observation, chance favours only the
prepared minds.
    -- Louis Pasteur