Re: [Hampshire] Wireless bridging

Author: Tim
To: rogermunford, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless bridging
On Wednesday 22 October 2008 19:44:29 Roger Munford wrote:
> I am trying to link a single PC in an outbuilding to an office 80 meters
> away. Uninterrupted sight. I have tried it with a pair of Develo
> homeplugs but they couldn't connect. I am quite sure that they were on
> the same electrical circuit but the circuit length was probably too long.
>
> Presently the office has a wireless router. I foolishly did not make a
> note of the type but it has no external antenna. With a laptop I can get
> a signal about 70 meters away i.e. just short of the out building. After
> a bit of research on the internet, it appears that the solution two
> access points working in bridge mode with directional antennas.
> However most of the articles I found were a out of date and not very
> informative regarding equipment.
>
> Does anybody have any experience and can they recommend any equipment?
>
> Thanks
>
> Roger

I have a similar problem which I am looking at for one of my branch offices,
The office is wired but I have to get a connection in the workshop which is
about 90mtr away with line of site.

I have been looking at these antennas heres

http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/index.php?target=categories&category_id=209

and these Access Points

http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=12

(they confirmed that the AP and antenna's will work together)

When I costed it out the whole kit (plus cabling) came to under £200, this
compared to getting similar netgear kit from one of our suppliers was going
to be just under £500 (I say similar but the netgear AP's have quite a bit
more options I believe).

Not come to a decisions yet so would be keen to hear what you actually decide

Tim