Re: [Hampshire] Converting a .TS Video Stream file

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Converting a .TS Video Stream file

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a6a100.hantslug.org.uk.19542': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 28 13:26:21 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 01:14:54PM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:
> I'm looking for something that can convert a .TS Video stream file into
> something (sigh) playable with Windows Media Player.
> Ok, I know... Windows and all that but the target System is heavily (and
> I mean heavily, no access to Start Menu) locked down.
>
> The files I need to convert are on a Hummy PVR. I can get them copied
> onto an XP System but none of the tools I have tried so far can convert
> the output into a .mov or mpeg4 file without losing audio sync.

You need to fix up the A/V sync first. The way I do this is with
ProjectX[1]:

$ java -jar projectx.jar -id <vpid>,<apid> \
    -out /tmp -name /tmp/video.m2v video.ts

This generates a .m2v and a .mp2, with appropriate timestamps
and/or padding in them. You then re-multiplex the two together again
with mplex:

$ mplex -f 3 -o video.mpeg /tmp/vide.m2v /tmp/video.mp2

After that, you should find that the resulting file is an MPEG2
Program Stream, which can be edited/processed using the tool of your
choice (I use avidemux for editing).

Hugo.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/project-x

        --- Great oxymorons of the world, no. 2: Common Sense ---