Re: [Hampshire] Converting a .TS Video Stream file

Author: alan c
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Converting a .TS Video Stream file
Stephen Davies wrote:
> I'm looking for something that can convert a .TS Video stream file into
> something (sigh) playable with Windows Media Player.
> Ok, I know... Windows and all that but the target System is heavily (and
> I mean heavily, no access to Start Menu) locked down.
>
> The files I need to convert are on a Hummy PVR. I can get them copied
> onto an XP System but none of the tools I have tried so far can convert
> the output into a .mov or mpeg4 file without losing audio sync.
>
> Any ideas?
> Naturally, the budget for the exercise is zero hence my looking for
> something in the Linux world.

I may be asking a similar question soon - I have a couple of humax's
and one needs files recovery after what I guess has been a power cut
some time recently. We had three of these cuts last night, but the
problem was caused previously.

I will be looking for uninterruptable psu for these soon.

Hey, I am just now recovering some humax files from one of our two
units. I find that .ts files will play using kaffeine, which surprised
me. I am using the son_t modification cables to get out on usb. My
units are fairly recent ones I think, and there is a problem with
recognition of the usb being plugged in, so to recover files - (I
think a power cut jiggered the recorded list) - I am having to connect
only to the humax hard drive, which is working ok by itself.

The windows xp gui stuff is ok for some things, and easy if it works.
However, to do the recovery stuff I am using 'humaxrw' which was
written in linux and ported also to windows. Windows xp command line
is too dificult and I dont thing my laptop has very good usb drivers
:-) for windows that is, so I am doing it in ubuntu.

In windows xp my laptop is fragile if two usb connections are made in
this app, - it willonly recognise the humax hd if it is th eonly usb
device connected. It is a custom file system. But in linux I can use
an external large usb hd, mounted normally in /media and I find I can
run the humaxrw from a current directory in the usb drive which is
wonderful because the laptop does not have anything like 70GB space,
which is the space needed for the files I am hoping to download.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391