Re: [Hampshire] Converting a .TS Video Stream file

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Converting a .TS Video Stream file
Hi,

If you have no audio then this is quite possibly to do with the ID of the audio stream (PID) not being what the transcoding program expects and therefore being ignored. TSes consist of a number of Packetized Elemental Streams (PES) each of which has a PID that the player uses to look up in a data table or to make an assumption as to what the stream is (audio, video, teletext, RS422 data, etc.) Big problems happen if different values are used, the data table doesn't get read and the player assumes what the stream types are based on assumed default numbers for the PIDs . Can you find a utility to find out the stream IDs in the file and demux the streams from the file or alter the PIDs in place? You may need to alter (remap) the PIDs to the values your converter program expects or to tell the converter what the audio, video and PCR PIDs in the file are.

How much audio error are we talking about and is it audio leading or lagging the video? (I'm guessing leading; the brain is much more sensitive to leading audio than lagging. Is the audio in sync when you play it on the Hummy? If so you may have an issue with the program not correctly using the Program Clock Reference (PCR) and Presentation Time (PT) to display them at the correct times. This could be another PID number problem with the PCR not being identified or just duff playback/conversion software. When the audio is out does it drift or is it always out by the same amount for the duration of the recording?

Cheers,
Paul.