Re: [Hampshire] [Tech] The 'speed of a language'

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Tech] The 'speed of a language'
> That's one of the problems with performance optimisation. You cannot
> optimise everything (for a large software project you never have time) so
> you have to work on the areas you think are important / used the most. Of
> course if you get the wrong areas, then it doesn't help ;).

It's amazing how many people jump into "optimisation" without having
collected any metrics on their code first...

Years ago, I worked for a company that sold in-circuit test and
optimisation tools[1]. It was quite incredible to see imtelligent people
using up all their development time recoding loops which turned out to be
run for a few seconds a month...

Vic.

[1] See
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CODETEST -
although it wasn't owned by FreeScale when I worked on it. I ran the UK
beta test programme - and the customer that managment selected for me ran
HP-UX. Which is buggy. Uggh.