Re: [Hampshire] Laptop external powerpacks?

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop external powerpacks?
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
> 2008/10/31 Andy Random <andy.random@???>:
>> Does anybody have any experience with external
>> battery powerpacks for laptops?
> My father in law bought one at a computer show.
> It would not charge his Acer laptop. Well, more
> like the Acer laptop detected it wasn't a
> "proper" Acer one and refused to charge.

Whilst it's possible for the laptop and PSU to
communicate, I doubt that was the problem.

It's more likely that the PSU was unable to supply
sufficient current - and therefore the voltage
drooped - or the supply voltage was simply out of
the laptop's tolerance.

If you can find a third-party PSU with the right
connector, sufficient current, and tight enough
voltage regulation, then I'd expect it to work.
The tricky bit may be finding a spec for that last
condition.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.