[Hampshire] A bit of a kerfuffle...

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] A bit of a kerfuffle...
Well, Intrepid Ibex has given me something to think about today having
upgraded 3 desktops and a laptop to Ubuntu's latest and greatest.

Desktops 1, 2 and 3 went swimmingly, as indeed did the laptop, but just
when I was getting ready to celebrate, desktop 4's update manager did
something odd and skipped a considerable portion of the process before
hanging at the end. A quick look at the repositories showed that they
had been updated, but for some reason the tedious business of actually
downloading the packages had been bypassed!

I did an 'aptitude dist-upgrade' which all seemed to go reasonably well
right up until it became evident that things just weren't right upon
reboot. I had no video drivers (nvidia, nv or vesa) and no (wirelesss)
connectivity.

In the end I downloaded the CD and did a fresh install leaving my home
directory untouched and I am almost glad I had to go this route, given
that it afforded me a chance to peek at the new installer, which is very
slick and even more intuitive* than the last.

Overall it all looks pretty much the same to me - as expected - but the
default user interface certainly seems faster - which was a nice surprise.

Sean

* there was a bit of fuss around enabling the nvidia drivers where
Intrepid didn't think to ask about changing the repositories when I
tried to set them up - it failed silently and left me to puzzle out why
I only had 800x640 resolution on the desktop.