[Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.10 install sticks at disk partition sta…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.10 install sticks at disk partition stage
Hi

Burned a CD of ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso and ran it in my Panasonic
CF-T2. First impressions are good:
- the network manager automatically saw a 3Networks 3G dongle and
could connect through it;
- ditto home Wifi;
- the touch screen Just Worked (previously I had had to hunt down
configuration/calibration programs on the Net to get the touch screen
accurate0.

And that was all from the CD's trial mode.

However...
On trying to do the installation:
at disk partitioning stage,
select the default "Guided: resize SCSI1(0,0,0) - partition #1(sda)
and use freed space"
Resizing partition ... Please wait(0%)...
and wait...
(for 30+ minutes...)
and eventually the partitioner fails with a message
"An error occurred while writing the changes to the storage devices.
The resize operation has been aborted."

This also happened when I was trying to install 8.04; I got round it
at that time by doing the "internal to Windows" install , and that
works OK but is a bit slow sometimes and I'd like to do it "properly"
(but still retaining WinXP there, because my wife sometimes wants the
laptop (*) ).

By going ctrl-alt-F1 I can look at /var/log. The last bit of messages file has
messages from ntfsresize:
Current divice size, Space in use, Collecting resizing constraints,
You might resize at xxx bytes, Please make a test run using -n and -s
before resizing...

Then wait forty minutes,
then ntfsresize starts again. Similar start, then
Needed relocations: 11830 MB.
Relocating needed data
ERROR: Extended record needed (216,840 > 1024) not yet supported!
Please try to free less space.
Error resizing the NTFS file system.

The reference to216840 is I suspect because I have grabbed a 20gb
chunk inside the WinXP partition for the "inside windows" installation
( I don't really know exactly how that works). However, it also
happened six months ago before I had done that.

Should I try asking somewhere on the Ubuntu site?

(*) - and she has known Linux (through me for so long that she thinks
it has got to be too hard for her...