Re: [Hampshire] BBC downloads on linux - what do you use?

Author: Graham Bleach
To: edward.beckmann, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] BBC downloads on linux - what do you use?
2008/11/9 Ed Beckmann - gmail <edward.beckmann@???>

> I want to subscribe to some podcasts and wonder what people use. BBC
> offers feeds for itunes, zencast and zune and feeds for yahoo and
> goodle. Having no experience at all what do you suggest? All I want is
> for the things to appear once published, and for the option to play them
> on the PC!

Rhythmbox, the default audio player in Ubuntu, can download podcasts. To add
a BBC podcast: Music -> New podcast feed and copy and paste the contents of
the Feed URL box from the BBC page for the podcast you are interested in.

I use Amarok to download podcasts, purely because I already used it to
manage my music collection and it is convenient to use one application to
transfer both music and podcasts to my portable audio player. I wouldn't
recommend it in your case, as adding new podcasts is not quite as easy as in
Rhythmbox and it will require a large number of KDE dependencies to install.

Cheers,
Graham