[Hampshire] Wireless range

Author: Richard Danter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Wireless range
Hi again,

New thread, different problem. :)

My wife is having real problems getting a network connection from our
dining room. That is less than 10m from the router! I know we have
solid walls (it's a '60's house so not much plasterboard, unlike
modern houses) but this is rather pathetic.

Problem is really since I got my new Netgear router. The old one was
much less powerful but I was able to screw it to the wall just above
the door to my office and though the signal was not great it was
reasonably stable in the dining room. The new router has to sit on a
shelf since it does not have any screw holes. I am thinking that maybe
I could put a shelf above the door, and maybe that is a good way to
go, but I wonder what else I can do.

Can't only be me with solid walls, any other suggestions. Don't really
fancy running a wire to the dining room since it is opposite side of
the house so would mean going up between the ceiling and upstairs
floor, and kind of makes the whole idea of wireless pointless.

The other thing I thought about was placing the router more central in
the house, but I use all 4 of the wired ports on the back too and it
would mean a very long wire from the cable modem (and 4 more back to
my other boxes). Also the wired connections are Gigabit and long wires
are not ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rich