Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range

Author: Richard Danter
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range
2008/11/11 Paul Stimpson <paul@???>:
> Hi,
>
> This is not normal. I live in a solid 40s house and I can cover all 3 floors with a single (not particularly well placed) access point.

Sounds like this is a setup issue then, worth me spending some time
investigating.

> My first suggestion would be that you may have interference from another network in the area or a video sender. I would use your favourite wireless tool or "iwlist <interface_name> scan" to get a list of all the wifi networks in the area and which channels they're on then change you network to a channel that isn't used (I recommend avoiding 1,2,3,4,6 and 11 as these are used by out of the box configurations and video senders.)

I have a work VPN box with wireless but the wireless part is supposed
to be disabled. I will check. One reason I don't use the wireless
options is that I don't have the password to config it myself, so I
shall ask IT to check it again. Had not thought of that since I have
had this box for a long time, along with my old router, but thinking
about it the new router is physically much closer now.

> If you are going to relocate the wireless you will also need power wherever you put it. I would buy a new access point (not a router) then put it wherever I wanted. Cable back to the current router and then consider a Power over Ethernet (PoE) adaptor to run it over the ethernet cable if the AP can (or steal the unused cores and bodge power over it)
>
> If you want to stick your new router on the wall I find a couple of strips of heavy duty stick on Velcro is generally more than enough to make up for the lack of screw holes :)

Now why didn't I think of that?

Thanks
Rich