Re: [Hampshire] What is the PC to buy ?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What is the PC to buy ?
Jon Wilks wrote:
> This may sound like a simple question but I am in the market for a new
> PC and wonder what people are buying at the moment. With so many makes
> on the market it is difficult to differentiate between them all.
>
> Anyone made a recent purchase and have been happy with the value and
> service ?

Hi Jon,

At the highest level I think you need to answer these questions to get
the machine that suits you best and provides value for money:

    email, browsing and word processing or a power-user?

-then-

    desktop or laptop?

There are quite a few low power machines for desktop use on the market
that would be suitable for emailing etc., and not for power-use, and
there are laptops that will do just about everything you might expect
from a good desktop, but with a price tag to match.

To qualify that approach I'd offer up some of the Netbooks as being good
value for money, but not if you do a lot of image processing and want to
play the latest games!

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa