[Hampshire] Eee PC Login Woes

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Eee PC Login Woes
Hi Everyone,

I was disturbed to find that my daughter's Eee PC 701 booted straight in
to a session without prompting for a password.

Using the 'Personalisation' function in Settings I set her normal
password and rebooted. You can guess what comes next - we are now
prompted for a password and the one I set does not work.

My first idea was to try it with 'caps lock' on (there was a bug in my
son's Acer One that converted the lower case letters in passwords to
upper case as they were set), but that did not work either.

It's looking like a reinstall, which is a tad annoying to say the least
since setting passwords is something I am very familiar with and do
carefully as a matter of routine.

I've googled around and nothing leapt out at me, so I am wondering if
anyone here is aware of an issue around setting passwords for the Eee PC?

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa