Re: [Hampshire] digital cameras

Author: Tim
To: p_alefounder, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] digital cameras
On Monday 17 November 2008 18:10:05 Peter Alefounder wrote:
> Does anyone have any advice to offer on digital cameras? There are
> a lot of web sites about this, but many appear to be out of date.
>
> Tha particular requirements are:
>
> 1. It must work with Linux systems - something seen as a mass
> memory device, like a USB flash memory stick, would probably be
> best. I already have one of those, working with no problems. All I
> would need to do is copy image files, not control the camera
> remotely. A standard image format is also needed - jpeg for
> example.
>
> 2. At least 10 megapixels.
>
> 3. Must do close-ups. One purpose of this is photographing old
> documents, and some have "difficult areas". I have seen a Fuji
> Finepix Z20FD; the macro mode could photograph text and display it
> larger than the original even on the camera's own LCD screen: that
> would certainly do very well. On the other hand, one review I found
> said it was not so good for general use - there are problems with
> overexposure, it seems. There might be a trade-off here, reviews of
> other cameras say they are better for general use, but I'm not so
> sure about macro mode or how well they work with Linux. The Z20FD
> is very compact, which I liked.
>
> 4. Downloading images via USB connection: I only have USB 1.1, but
> I understand this should be compatible with faster devices - am I
> right about that?
>
> 5. Must be able to turn off the flash - bright light can damage old
> documents.
>
> I would be grateful for any suggestions on what might be best - or
> what to avoid.
>
> Peter Alefounder.

I can vouch for the Canon 400D, the Fuji S9600 and the Fuji S5500 (although
the S5500 is discontinued) all working with Linux. The Canon is PTP but can
easily be setup in Digikam and works perfectly. They all have built in flash
which can be switched on or off

Tim

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google TalkT and most webmails