Re: [Hampshire] digital cameras

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] digital cameras
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:28:42 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:

> One other thing of note .. with compacts, think carefully about a
> viewfinder. My wife's camera doesn't have one and using the camera in
> bright sun is a bit hit-and-miss and/or hits the batteries quite hard
> driving the big display anythink like brightly enough. Mine has an
> electronic viewfinder on which the resolution is low but normally
> adequate when on autofocus, giving an SLR-type behaviour in a compact
> camera.

on the other hand, for the intended use of this camera (copying
documents), using a viewfinder is likely to be a bit hit or miss.

I copied some old deeds for my wife at Winchester Records Office not
long ago and found it a little difficult having only a viewfinder on my
previous camera. So I ended up with smaller images that I'd have
liked to be sure of getting each page complete. The document was on
on rolled parchment so hard to get flat and bigger than A3.

If I were doing it again I'd like to put the camera on a tripod and
arrange the document where it could be 'framed' in the display rather
than the viewfinder, but this might not be possible depending on
circumstances. Archivists are fussy about how you handle old documents.

I'd like not to use the camera shutter button but my fuji S5600 doesn't
give me any other option.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop