Re: [Hampshire] Some dpkg questions...

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Some dpkg questions...
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 19:07:49 -0000 (-0000), Vic wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I've got a couple of questions about dpkg that I'm not sure about (after
> reading the man page...)
>
> Firstly, dpkg apparently has a "--root" opetion; I'm not sure if I'm using
> it properly. I tried :
>
> dpkg --root=/mnt/image/ -L sysvconfig
>
> And got nothing for my trouble (yet the apt log for that image says it's
> installed).

It is probably just groking /var/lib/dpkg/info/sysvconfig.list. Try
--admindir.

I would really avoid using --root (or --admindir, --instdir) unless
you really know what you are doing. If you don't specify --admindir
for example, then your current box will think a package is installed
but you will have installed it elsewhere.

> Secondly - how do I list the scripts from a .deb?

They are _always_ in /var/lib/dpkg/info/(packagename).* Which is _so_
much nicer than Redhat IMO. In particular you can fix them much, much
more easily when they don't work :-)

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers