Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:43:25 +0000
"Alan Pope" <alan@???> wrote:

> 2008/11/19 john lewis <johnlewis@???>:
> > I'd like to increase the memory and possibly the storage above what
> > came with the system, Memory should be no problem as they are
> > standard SO-DIMM modules. Storage not so easy although this URL
> > suggests 32GB & 64GB PCI-E SSDs for Asus Eee PC 900 and 901 should
> > be available sometime soon :-)
> >

> Could always just chuck big fat SD cards in? I have a few 8G ones that
> come in handy.
>
> > Fitting them looks to be more problematic and seems to involve
> > removing the keyboard if I read this article correctly
> >

> the keyboard comes off the 900 _very_ easily.
>
> > Battery life is the 900's biggest problem but I can live with it (I
> > think). I am reluctant to apply the bios upgrade and am not even
> > sure if the latest listed on the Asus site will apply earlier
> > patches cumulatively
> >

> As hugo says, they're cumulative. They are also dead easy to apply. I
> have had 4 Eees, 2x701 and 2x900 and the BIOS updates have all applied
> without a hitch. I have only applied them via the Asus xandros thing
> but I think Andy Smith has applied them using the standalone zip file.

Thanks Alan & Hugo. I feel happier now about using the bios update
which in zip format. I do updates to my Technomate TV tuner in much
the same way.

I tried pruning the default installation from the Debian-eeepc distro
but found lots of things I wanted to get rid of seemed integral to
the Gnome desk-top, About the only large package I could remove safely
was OpenOffice.

Things like tasksel I automatically remove from any installation but I
don't need two browsers and prefer firefox to evolution, if only
because I am used to it. So will purging evolution destroy the
gnome gui and what else can I safely remove.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop