Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Author: Richard Danter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device
2008/11/20 john lewis <johnlewis@???>:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:29:30 +0000
> Bob Dunlop <bob.dunlop@???> wrote:
>
>> 64G drives are easily available, even if the price may make you
>> blink, but that will only come down.
>
> as it happens I will, all being well, have a 120Gb usb hard drive next
> week which could solve any storage problem.
>
> I bought a case for the 2.5" drive I took out of a broken thinkpad

Does the case have an external power supply or rely on USB?

I did a similar thing and the case I have uses an odd USB cable with
two connectors on one end in order to get enough power from the PC not
to need a seperate PSU. Problem is that the old HDD I put in it needs
just a little too much power on startup. Works fine on my Dell D400
but does not work on my wifes Compaq, even when the laptop runs from
mains itself.

Rich