Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:59:10 +0000
"Richard Danter" <radanter@???> wrote:

> Does the case have an external power supply or rely on USB?

It has sockets for USB 2, esata or 5v DC inputs

> I did a similar thing and the case I have uses an odd USB cable with
> two connectors on one end in order to get enough power from the PC not
> to need a seperate PSU. Problem is that the old HDD I put in it needs
> just a little too much power on startup. Works fine on my Dell D400
> but does not work on my wifes Compaq, even when the laptop runs from
> mains itself.

It came with 3 cables, one standard usb2 (of which I am accumulating
a small stock), one esata and one of the type you mention.

The drive arrived in the post whilst I was out in the garden putting up
some nesting boxes! It fitted in the case (phew!) and it works (or
appears to) off the USB input. I have just created a partition on
it, formatted it ext3 & can mount as /dev/sdb1 on my main system.

I will try plugging it into the Asus 900 later

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop