[Hampshire] Info sought re BitDefender Rescue CD - Knoppix b…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Info sought re BitDefender Rescue CD - Knoppix based, so not OT ; -)
Has anyone any experience - good or bad - of this Rescue CD? It purports to
be based on Knoppix. Hopefully this is true!!

How effective is it at removing malware that is well and truly entangled in
the OS? (Owner has a lot of stuff he doesn't want to lose, including
downloaded programs, and no backups.)

Can anyone recommend a better rescue CD to run on the infected computer?
(Preferably Linux based.) Or something effective against malware in general
that I could load on my (Debian Lenny) computer so that I could scan the HDD
via a caddy? (ClamAV, AVG and F-Prot, of course. But they claim to be
anti-virus and not anti-malware in general.)

The box in question has a very evident infection of Antivirus 2009, and
probably a good many other nasties as well, since the Antivirus 2009 pop-up
has been clicked on fairly often. (Not by me, I hasten to add.)

I would prefer to format and reinstall, but that would lose everything, and if
I take backups now, I may simply transfer all the malware to the shiny new
installation.

He said almost proudly that he never makes backups!!!

TIA
Lisi