Re: [Hampshire] Info sought re BitDefender Rescue CD - Knopp…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Info sought re BitDefender Rescue CD - Knoppix based, so not OT ; -)
2008/11/20 Lisi <hantslug@???>:
> The box in question has a very evident infection of Antivirus 2009, and
> probably a good many other nasties as well, since the Antivirus 2009 pop-up
> has been clicked on fairly often. (Not by me, I hasten to add.)

There isn't much too Antivirus 2009 to be honest. I've cleaned up
machines with much more gunk than that with no external boot CDs, and
no caddies. Just good old fashioned cleaning up within the Windows
install itself.

Admittedly it took a couple of hours to clear out Antivirus 2008, 2009
and assorted other junk, but the key is to identify it and lance the
individual problems one by one. Having another net connected clean
machine nearby is handy for downloading installers / fixers to apply
via a usb stick to the heart of the Windows machine.

> I would prefer to format and reinstall, but that would lose everything, and if
> I take backups now, I may simply transfer all the malware to the shiny new
> installation.
>
> He said almost proudly that he never makes backups!!!

More fool him and more money in your pocket then.

Cheers,
Al.