Re: [Hampshire] Hex dump

Author: Jim Nicholson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hex dump
2008/11/23 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:
[snip]
> then I don't get the ASCII at the end. Very odd as hd and hexdump are
> effectively one and the same courtesy of the link. I'm obviously missing
> something here - anyone enlighten me? It's almost as though hd is some
> sort of batch file wrapper for hd with the correct syntax but the ls -l
> output gives me that it's a symbolic link.

As you say, hd and hexdump _are_ the same program, programs get passed
the name that was used to execute them, so by symbolic linking the
executable to a different name you can get different behaviour. grep
/ fgrep / egrep are also the same program, you will no doubt find
quite a few more. Why waste disk space with multiple copies of nearly
identical programs if you can merge them?

Jim