Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle
On Tue, Nov 25 at 05:20, Clive Woodfine wrote:
> I am looking for a means of connecting my Psion Revo to my laptop
> which has no serial port. Is there anything I should look for under
> Linux?

FTDI[1] sell a wide variety of USB to serial cables with all manner
of connectors and voltages, 3.3V, 5V(ttl) and RS232, bare leaded,
3.5mm jacks, 9pinD or bare PCBs to attach your own wires to.

All work out the box with linux in my experience. Nice to have a
device where the Windows guys are the ones that have to install
the driver :-) It's a free download :-(

They are described as engineering samples but they happily sell
one offs to joe public. Just expect a cable in a jiffy bag not a
four colour box.

[1] www.ftdi.com   Sorry the eshop don't publish useful internal
                   UrLs but it should be obvious.
--